Monday, January 28, 2008

Winter Wildflower Identified: California Wild Radish


Thanks to my blog reader, Shelly, I have now been able to identify my winter wildflower as California Wild radish. (see my original entry) I appreciate all her efforts to help me figure out what my find was. When I had originally observed this plant from 60 mph along the freeway, I did think it was mustard. It wasn't until I got out of the car and looked up close at it that I realized that it wasn't just yellow like mustard and that the flowers were very different and a variety of colors. The article that I linked to above explains that many times it is mistaken for mustard.

California Wild radish (Raphanus raphanistrum)

More interesting reading on the California Wild Radish. This will fit in with our current study of biology very nicely. I love it when we can make connections like that.

Thanks again Shelly,
Barb-Harmony Art Mom

No comments:

Post a Comment