Thursday, February 7, 2008

Skunks at Night


We are having a night time visit from our friendly skunk *again*. We have not seen him yet this time but we can smell his 'calling card' in the morning hours. Two summers ago we were plagued with skunks living under our house and we learned a lot about skunks and their habits.

The Handbook of Nature Study on pages 245-247 has information about skunks. Here is what the author says about skunks that I found interesting.

Page 245:
"It is a night prowler, although it is not averse to a daytime promenade. The white upon its fur gives warning at night that here is an animal which had best be left alone. This immunity from attack makes the skunk careless in learning wisdom from experience; it never learns to avoid a trap, or the dangers of a railway or trolley track. It plods deliberately across highways, leaving its protection to the motorist."

I would rather they didn't live in my backyard or under my house or porch but when I don't have a choice I know how to give them their space. :)

Barb-Harmony Art Mom

No comments:

Post a Comment