Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Sunflowers Everywhere Green Hour Challenge #16

Here are last year's sunflowers starting to bloom. This year we are going to have quite a few more to share with you but last year these ended up producing an amazing amount of seeds for the birds.

For this challenge we were to plant our sunflower seeds but since we did it early in anticipation of the challenge, we are already enjoying the fruits of our labor.


We have some that are getting to be about a foot high already. I planted a mix of seeds so and in this garden bed they are all short so they won't cover my window where I sit at my desk and look out.

I think they will look like these from a few years ago and will be multi-colored.



I sent both boys out with their nature journals to sketch some of the sunflower seedlings and here are their entries along with mine. I think it is interesting to note how we each have our own style of recording things in our journals.

One chose to draw a more "scientific" style drawing looking at it from the side-view. One son chose to draw it by standing and looking down at it showing the leaves. Then there is my journal where I attempt to take in one whole garden box with the beans, the rudbeckia, the marigolds, the weeds, and the sunflowers.























Well, that is how we accomplished our Green Hour Challenge #16. By the end of the summer we will have quite a few sunflowers to observe and draw and share with the birds.

Barb-Harmony Art Mom

No comments:

Post a Comment